Saturday, April 23, 2011

Nouwen

Sometimes in reading Henri Nouwen, I find myself convicted.  From this morning's reading of "The Only Necessary Thing" on living a prayerful life, I read:    "In a society that seems to be filled with urgencies and emergencies, prayer appears to be an unnatural form of behavior.  Without fully realizing it, we have accepted the idea that 'doing things' is more important than prayer and have come to think of prayer as something for times when there is nothing urgent to do." ...  and ... "Prayer requires that we stand in God's presence with open hands, naked and fulnerable, proclaiming to ourselaves and to others that without God we can do nothing."     Lord, teach me to let go of my 'to do' list and just bask in your affirming presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment